Sunday, September 11, 2011

Home Alone

Do you stay home all by yourself?  Do you enjoy it?  Some people like to be home alone, some don’t.  My mom was a stay-at-home mom when I was growing up so Mom was usually home when I got home from school.  If I didn’t see my mom, I would walk through the house yelling, “Mom!  Where are you?”

One day I looked all over the upstairs and even in the yard.  No mom.  Then I heard the washer in the (gulp) cellar.  (I was afraid to go down in the cellar but that’s a story for another day.)

I walked down the rickety steps, ran over to mom, and tapped her on the shoulder.  She practically jumped out of her skin!  See, she couldn’t hear me due to all the noise the washer was making.  She gave me a hug and we had a good laugh!

My younger sister Marcia did not like staying home alone.  She would call the operator and ask what time it was.  That was back in the days when it didn’t cost anything to call directory assistance.  Finally the operator got fed up with Marcia’s frequent time inquiries and said, “Little girl, learn to tell time and stop calling me!”

If you’re going to be home alone, this information should be posted near the phone:
  • when to call 911
  • your address and phone number
  • the name, location, and phone number where your mom or dad works
  • the name, phone number, and address of a trusted neighbor
  • the name, phone number, and address of another emergency contact person, such as a grandparent or family friend

Are you bored or lonely when you’re home alone?  After you’ve done your chores and homework, perhaps you could try some of these:
  • Read a book or magazine.
  • Work on a hobby or try a new one.
  • Listen to music, sing, or play an instrument.
  • Write a letter or phone a friend.
  • Write a story full of made-up adventures of what happened to you when you were home alone — and don't forget to give it a happy ending!

The important thing about staying home alone is to be safe.  Make good decisions and you’ll be fine.

Do you stay home alone?  If not, would you like to?  Do you like to stay home alone?  Why?  Please leave me a comment.  I’d love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment