Thursday, August 18, 2011

Are You Stressed Out?

Do you know when you’re stressed? I can usually tell when my students are overwhelmed—they’re crabby. Sometimes, though they hide it really well from me and I don’t have a clue until I get a phone call, email, or note from their parent. 

I feel sad when my students are stressed and I try to do what I can to not contribute to it. However, when a student is stressed over schoolwork, yet is highly overscheduled in afterschool activities, I’m really not the one to blame, right? It’s a team effort.

Procrastination is a big contributor to stress so my advice to you this next school year is to keep on top of your obligations. I like to say: “It’s easier to keep up than to catch up.”

Breathing helps you stay calm. Sounds simple? It is! Just sit quietly and breathe in and out, paying close attention to your breath. You can even give yourself a pep talk as you do so. I like to breathe in and think to myself, “I’m calm.” As I breathe out I think, “I’m relaxed.” It sounds silly but it works! Try it!

What causes you to be stressed? What do you do to decrease your stress? Leave me a comment. I’d love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment