Thursday, August 11, 2011

Writing!

Do you love to write? I do! Writing is so much fun. I love to write by typing on my computer. I can “touch type” that’s where I can type without looking at the keys on the keyboard. I learned how to do that in high school on a really old fashioned type writer! 

Kids today are so lucky: you get to learn to touch type in elementary school! I recommend that you practice touch typing at home, too. There are lots of learn to type programs available. They’re free and fun! They’re full of games that help you have a good time as you practice your typing.

Because I do my writing on my computer, not only is it fast, I can edit and correct my work much easier. I DON’T rely on spellcheck, however, and neither should you. I have found that spellcheck is not always correct! 

What? That’s right. A computer program is only as good as the people who wrote it. That, and the fact that spellcheck doesn’t catch grammar errors, can leave you in the lurch.

What is the best strategy to proofread your work? Proofread out loud, pointing to every word. Go slowly and listen to what you are saying. If it sounds weird, it probably needs fixing up. It’s your job to correct your work.

I think it’s safe to say that all writing needs editing. I don’t know of any writer that can just write something and be done with it. Writers love playing with language, selecting just the right word to convey their message is like a game or a challenge for us. 

When people read your work, it is an opportunity for them to create an opinion of you. If your work is full of errors, what will your reader think of you? You owe it to yourself and your readers to make your writing the best it can possibly be.

No comments:

Post a Comment