Thursday, August 4, 2011

I Love Music!

Do you love music?  I do!  When I was growing up my mom was our church organist.  We had an old pump organ (aka reed organ or harmonium) in our cellar for her to practice on!  You had to pump the pedals to make it work.  The pedals worked like bellows and pumped air through the reeds to make the sound.  We always argued who was going to pump the pedals!  We sang all the childhood classics to the wheezy sound of that old organ.
My childhood memories frequently involve music.  My mom loved show tunes.  She had a song for every occasion.  When she washed our hair, it was to “I’m Gonna Wash that Man Right Outta My Hair” from the musical “South Pacific.” 
While on road trips we took our shoes off in the car to be more comfy.  As we approached a rest stop, Mom sang, “Put Your Shoes on Lucy,” by Hank Fort.  That was our signal to get our shoes back on.
When we went camping, our fireside sing-alongs were a wonderful way to end each day.  We’d roast marshmallows and sometimes make some-mores.  Click HERE for the recipe.  My favorite campfire song is “I’ve Been Working on the Railroad.”  Sometimes we played “Name That Tune” and tried to guess a song in three notes or less.  Fireflies, glowing coals, and shooting stars—good times, good memories.
When I was about eight my favorite birthday gift was a book and record set of “Peter and the Wolf.”  It’s amazing how the different instruments can bring the characters to life!  To this day that music brings me right back to my childhood and the hours spent listening to that classic.
I took flute lessons through my school when I was in fourth grade.  This continued through sixth grade.  I was in the school bands:  elementary, junior high, and high school.  The band (or chorus) experience is not to be missed!  Ahh, band trips…a story for another day.  I still play my flute.  It’s in my classroom and I pull it out now and then to play for my students.  They learn the recorder in third grade.  I like to encourage them to continue it. 
My family enjoys “The Nutcracker” during the holiday season.  We like the dancers and costumes but most of all, we love the music!  The holidays don’t seem complete if we don’t get to see “The Nutcracker.”
Do you like music?  If you could take music lessons--voice or an instrument, what would you choose?  Leave me a comment.  I’d love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment